Monday, August 18, 2014

Meal Plan Monday

Y'all, we ate well last week. Healthy, but well. I definitely have my favorites, but I'll share all the recipes with you so you can try them. I promise, you'll want to.

Monday: Greek Pizza with Cauliflower Crust
Ok, so pizza is one of my favorite foods. I'm pretty sure it's because I love cheese and bread, so it's an obvious choice. While counting calories, I didn't think pizza for dinner would be an option, but thanks to the delish cauliflower crust, it's back on the menu at the Craft house.

 Mouth watering? Mine is.

For the crust:
1 head of cauliflower
1 egg
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 tsp crushed basil
1 tsp dried oregano 
1 tsp fresh chopped parsley
1/2 tsp salt
cheese cloth or metal mesh strainer

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350˚ and spray glass baking dish with olive oil 
2. Wash and cut cauliflower into florets.
3. Put into food processor and process until it looks almost like rice.
4. Place cauliflower in dish and cook for 15 minutes
5. Line a large bowl with cheese cloth (I use 2 square pieces and layer) or place mesh str;ainer over bowl. Let cauliflower cool for roughly 10 minutes before next step (use time to prepare toppings)
6. Squeese cauliflower until there is almost no water coming out (if using mesh, push cauliflower until very little water comes out).
7. Add other ingredients and and mix well.
8. Press dough into pizza pan and bake for 15-20 minutes
9. Add sauce, cheese and toppings and bake until cheese is melted.

You can top this any way you'd like, with regular pizza sauce and toppings. This is what I did.
pizza sauce (I used Di Napoli Classico)
Part-skim mozarella cheese
banana pepper rings
sliced roma tomatoes
red onion
feta cheese

Tuesday: Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
This dish is a bit higher in calories, but I used new potatoes instead of russet. They are really only slightly fewer calories and actually provide less fiber, but more vitamin C. So, which potato you use is totally your preference! I cut down on the bacon to save some calories and I also opted for more of a fiesta blend cheese instead of just plain cheddar, because it's what I had on hand. This is a great, single dish recipe that the entire family will enjoy. I served with a dollop of sour cream (because a baked potato isn't truly "loaded" without it!) and some buffalo sauce. Kudos to Rachel Schultz!


Wednesday: Skinny Bang-Bang Shrimp and Roasted Brussels Sprouts
So, this was a first for me, but trying to eat lean and not get bored can be trying, so I opted for shrimp. It's low cal, packed with protein, so you can eat a lot of it and it'll be ok. If you've had the Bang-Bang Shrimp from Bonefish Grill, you know how delicious it is. Well, the Cookie Rookie developed this recipe and I promise you, after we finished eating my husband said "are you sure that was low calorie? Because it seemed real fattening." You waist-line misses out, but your taste buds will not. I used Fage Greek yogurt and Heinz Chili Sauce (not sweet, just plain chili sauce). I also opted for precooked, ready to eat shrimp to make it easy.


You can totally do any veggie side you like with this, I roasted brussles sprouts. I cut them in half, tossed in about a tablespoon of olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper and roasted at 350˚ for 30 minutes. YUM!

Thursday: One Pot Zucchini Mushroom Pasta
So, to let you in on a little secret, I don't like mushrooms. I think they taste like dirt. If you don't like mushrooms, I'd skip this recipe and find something else. I love pasta, especially one pot pasta recipes, and my husband likes mushrooms, so I thought I'd take one for the team with this meal. He loved it! Unless he asks for it, I won't make it again because, well, I felt like I was eating dirt flavored noodles. If you like mushrooms though, it's a go! (I've made other things from this gal's blog and it's always great!)


Friday: Buffalo Chicken Burgers with Sweet Potato Chips
This was definitely my favorite meal of the week! The pizza was a close second, but this I could eat 5 days a week! I love a good burger, made with any type of meat, as long as it is packed full of flavor. Will Cook for Smiles rocked it with this recipe!! The only thing I changed about this recipe was I omitted the blue cheese because Damien nor I like blue cheese. I also opted for a fat-free ranch dressing. 


Saturday: Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
So, This is another meal from Damn Delicious, and it most definitely is. I love stuffed peppers and this brought a bit of a hispanic flare to them, plus they are meatless. <We had 3 meatless meals last week!> I used Alter Eco Rainbow quinoa and left out the feta. We like feta, but just didn't feel this particular recipe needed it, so I left it out. Throw it in if you like!


Well, that's your meal plan for the week. We had leftovers one night, so again, it's only 6 nights worth of meals. The pasta and pepper meals yielded leftovers (I made cheese quesadillas for the kids on the pepper night because they won't eat them). 
 If you try any or all the recipes, I'd love to hear your comments here on the blog!!! Should I start posting a shopping list for these recipes? If I get feedback that people would like that, I most definitely will! If you have a friend who'd love any of these meals, please share. Make sure you are following my blog so you never miss a Meal Plan Monday. Follow me on Pinterest for many, many more recipes. Also, don't forget to leave some love on the blog where to recipes are located! Bloggers love words of affirmation!

***Watch out for the Lusts and Loves: Kitchen Edition coming later this week!***

Here's to a happy and healthy week!




No comments: