Thursday, March 27, 2014

Mmmmmm, Smoothies!

It's here, it's here!! I am expecting several things in the mail right now and one arrived today. My Focus T25 workout DVDs was in my mailbox today. I don't know if you get as excited about good mail days as I do, but I loved getting things that I have ordered in my mailbox. Makes me feel like it's Christmas any day of the week.

In about 9 weeks, I will be heading to the Outerbanks in NC with my family. My sisters, are
S-K-I-N-N-Y! My older sister, Rachel, just ran her first marathon about 2 weeks ago, so she's been training like a beast! Therefore, she is super-skinny. My little sister, Deb, well she is just a tooth pick. If you know her, you know that she has always been teeny tiny. To top things off, my brother's fiance Kayla, is also thin. I absolutely refuse to be the chubby sister this year! So, for the second time in my life, I will start my getting skinny process by allowing Shaun T to kick my butt. It'll be well worth it!

So, in preparation for my beach vacation, I am also going to be eating a bit more lean and including lots of smoothies in my diet. I am still nursing sweet Brooklyn, so I still need extra calories for her, I won't be dieting necessarily, just making healthier choices.

 In honor of my plight, I have decided to post some of my favorite smoothie recipes!


Tropical Smoothie

1/2 cup coconut almond milk 
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
1/2 banana
1 orange
1 lemon or lime
1 cup of spinach or kale
1 cup of ice

Another of my Vitamix favorites (but not on their site) is this one:

Frozen Strawberry Grape Juice

1 cup green grapes
1 cup red grapes
1 cup frozen, unsweetened strawberries
1/2 cup ice

and you can always add spinach or kale for extra benefits!

And when I am wanting something sweet, here is my go-to smoothie for a treat!



Finally, if you are in need of other recipes, here is a great guide to building your own! 

A few tips!
Stay away from adding fruit juices. 
I use coconut almond milk or water as my liquids of choice. 
Always use unsweetened fruit. 
Frozen is fine and when used, you may be able to omit ice cubes. 
Add greens to ANY recipe! (Trust me when I saw that you cannot even taste them!) 
Add Flax seed to any recipe.
Use light/sugar free Greek yogurt to boost protein.
Surprisingly, bananas are strong in smoothies, so most recipes I'd use half of one (unless you love the taste of banana. I don't)
Be creative. Use spices and herbs. 
Blend and Enjoy!!!

Did I mention that I have a smoothie board on Pinterest?! You should have known!! Follow me there for all my smoothie finds.

No comments: